Basic travel information
The German city Regensburg is an old historical city whose downtown area recently was awarded a UNESCO world cultural heritage. It is located in the heart of Europe and of Bavaria in special, at the northernmost point of river Danube and close to the Bavarian Forest. It is directly connected to the European highway network (Brussels/Belgium – Vienna/Austria). The national A93 Autobahn highway connects Regensburg to Munich (120 km). The closest international airports are located at Munich (recommended!) and Frankfurt (270 km), reachable within one hour (airport Munich by shuttle bus) and 2,5 hours (airport Frankfurt by train). Train service to and from these places is provided by the German Railway agency DB on a frequent basis to both locations (from Munich airport ca. 1:30 hours and from Frankfurt airport ca. 2:30 hours). Although travelling by plane is most easily done via Munich, there are direct train connections to other airports in Vienna/Austria and Prague/Czech Republic as well.
Detailed travel information
1. By Plane Flying into Munich The easiest way from Munich Airport to Regensburg is the shuttle bus (the “Airportliner”) that directly picks you up at the terminal and drops you off at your hotel in Regensburg. Travel time is one hour. The single fare is 42 €. For more information and for booking a trip, visit < http://www.airportliner.com/booking.htm >. In case you want to use the train from Munich airport, you can take the shuttle bus “Regionalbus #653” to Freising train station. The bus will pick you up at all terminals and exits of the airport. Just follow the bus-signs. The final destination of the bus is Freising train station. So there is little chance of getting lost. In Freising, you have to take a train to Regensburg main station. Train schedules can be accessed at the German Railway agency website.
All other airports From all other airports to the city of Regensburg use the train. You may find a suitable train connection to Regensburg at the German Railway agency’s portal.
2. By Train
Regensburg is located at the crossing of many international train routes traversing central Europe from North to South (Copenhagen - Budapest) and from West to East (Paris - Vienna). You may find a suitable train connection to Regensburg at the German Railway agency’s portal under < http://www.bahn.de >. Regensburg train station is located half way between the conference site at university and the downtown city centre. You will find yourself in the middle of old Regensburg after a 4 minutes' walk. Just walk straight ahead from the main station into the pedestrian area northbound.
3. By Car
• Highway (Autobahn) A3 Köln/Cologne – Frankfurt – Nürnberg/Nuremberg – Regensburg – Wien/Vienna • Highway (Autobahn) A93 München/Munich – Regensburg – Dresden
DEXA 2018 location
DEXA will take place at the University of Regensburg just outside the downtown district but within a comfortable walking distance. Hotels are located in the city centre, and there are many bus lines servicing the University on a frequent basis. The major bus lines are bus number 11 (direction “Burgweinting”) and bus number 6 (direction “Klinikum”) which are both accessible at the bus terminal near the train station, and get off at the University.
In order to allow you as interested parties to plan your 2018 trip to Regensburg right in time, we start offering you valuable information about the City of Regensburg and Hotel Accommodation in the city.
- Basic Information on the city itself (in different languages) < http://www.regensburg.de/tourismus/international/index.shtml >
- Extended Information on the city itself (in English only) < http://www.regensburg.de/tourismus/international/english/index.shtml >
- Transport Connections to Regensburg < http://www.regensburg.de/wirtschaft/international/english/transport_conn... >
- German Railway website < http://www.bahn.de >
- Airport connections to Regensburg < http://www.regensburg.de/wirtschaft/international/english/transport_conn... >
- Airport Shuttle bus “AirportSprinter” < http://www.airportliner.com/booking.htm >
- Regensburg Accommodation Booking < http://www.regensburg.de/tourismus/international/common/accomodation/ind... >
- Hotel list < http://www.regensburg.de/tourismus/hotels/index.html >